Social Icons

Thứ Tư, 23 tháng 9, 2015

Gabby Reece on Modeling, Marriage, & Strong Women

I first met Gabby Reece in 1989 when she was starting out as a model and I was a young makeup artist. We worked together often on shoots with photographer Steven Klein for British and Italian Vogue, and quickly bonded over our shared passion for fitness and health. We were quite the pair, she at 6’3” and me at 5 feet tall. With her height and athletic build, Gabby was a stunning example of how strong is beautiful. An instant cover girl, she absolutely paved the way for models that are fit and powerful, instead of thin.
Gabby left modeling to become one of the world’s best known pro-volleyball players. In 1995 she met pro-surfer Laird Hamilton and the pair now live in Hawaii half the year raising three girls. Gabby has developed a new fitness program called HighX that combines resistance training, cardio, and balance available at 24 Hour Fitness. She’s written several books including the 2013 memoir, My Foot Is Too Big for the Glass Slipper: A Guide to the Less Than Perfect Life. In it, she pulled back the curtain on her life, including the truth about her marriage. I love that she didn’t try to put out the image of perfection, but instead was funny, honest, and totally real, just as she was when we caught up again after all these years.
Bobbi Brown: Hey Gabby, it’s been a long time since we worked together. I think you were, like, 17.
Gabby Reece: I was trying to remember, but I think the first time I was, like, 18 or 19. It was 1989, and you were just starting to do your makeup line. I started playing volleyball professionally out of college, so I was done modeling by 22 or 23.
When I think of you I remember how nice, normal,and not model-like you were, and I say that with love.
I get you. Because I remember this one time, I’ll never forget it, Naomi [Campbell] comes in and she’s late. I don’t remember what shoot it was, maybe with Albert Watson. They were all bitching and moaning, and then when she leaves they’re like, “Oh, she’s so fabulous.” I was like, that’s never going to be my language.
Oh yeah. I once did a Vogue shoot with Linda Evangelista, and we’re sitting in a location van on the street waiting and waiting. She comes in six hours late, and the editor says, “I’m so glad you’re here! Here’s some champagne and flowers!” 
[Laughs] How about that naughty behavior?
Gabby Reece with husband, pro-surfer Laird Hamilton and their daughter. (Photo: Instagram)
Thankfully, now you’re worlds away from the modeling world, living in Hawaii and LA with your husband, Laird Hamilton. With two world-class athletes in a relationship, that must be interesting; I’m sure you have both taught each other some amazing stuff. 
Yes, he’s perfectly willing to start at the bottom of something, not be good at it, and then implement it. He has taught me about being willing to do the things you’re not good at. I think I have a tendency to go back and do the things that are easier for me to do, for example, weight lifting and things that I’m comfortable with, versus lots of stretching or meditation. Those things are more of a challenge for me. So Laird has been a great example of going to your vulnerable spots, because it only ultimately makes you stronger. 

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét

 
 
Blogger Templates